Monday, June 27, 2011

Chinese lantern blamed for Somerton fire

Firefighters were called to the Polham Lane site in Somerton after a tonne of paper and printer cartridges caught fire on Saturday night.

A spokesman from Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service said the lantern had fallen on to the paper.Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service had issued a warning about the use of lanterns only the day before.

The paper decorations, which can float up to a mile into the air when they are lit, are often constructed with metal wire.They have become a popular feature at parties and weddings.

Following the Somerton fire, Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service station commander Jim Morrison said: "Without sounding like a killjoy, we would ask people to consider not buying and setting them off because of the dangers.

"Although they look pretty they will often fail and come down early whilst the fuel for the lantern itself is still burning."

No comments:

Post a Comment